The HEPEX mailing list is a semi-moderated email distribution list intended to communicate information between those interested in the subject area of HEPEX. Notifications of new blog posts are also sent to the mailing list. The mailing list email address is email@example.comHow to subscribe
You have two options for subscribing to the mailing list, depending on whether you want to register your email address with Google or not.
- Register through the email list’s web page if you already have a Gmail account, or if you’re happy to register your non-Gmail account with Google. To register, click “apply to join group” below the group name. Don’t forget to check the box to subscribe to email updates!
- Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org if you don’t want to register your email address with Google. You’ll receive a confirmation email TO WHICH YOU MUST REPLY!
You may want to check that emails from the HEPEX mailing list do not end up in a spam filter!
To UNsubscribe, simply send an email to email@example.com.
What should the mailing list be used for?
If it’s relevant to the HEPEX community, we want to hear about it! Feel free to send information about events, job opportunities, publications, etc. Don’t forget to also consider writing a blog post. Notifications of new HEPEX blog posts are also sent to the mailing list – make sure to subscribe so as not to miss a post! To post your message to the mailing list, send your email to firstname.lastname@example.org, and make sure to check the guidelines below.
On the other hand, if it’s not relevant… Messages of a commercial nature are not appreciated and we’re not keen on ‘you haven’t lived until you’ve read my latest paper’-type messages, either. Also, for large meetings (EGU, AGU, etc.), spamming the list with multiple individual conference session announcements is discouraged, compared to writing a single blog post about all of sessions and events of interest. Moderation is at the discretion of list owners and managers.
Guidelines for posting messages
Here, we’ve outlined some guidelines for posting messages to the list. Please read these over and refer to them when posting.
- Messages are submitted to the hepex mailing list by emailing them to email@example.com
- Do NOT include attachments; these are automatically removed and users have to dig through the archives (see below) to find them. Please include all information in the email itself.
- DO include a useful subject – “PhD position available at Ohio State University (USA)” is far better than “Please post this to HEPEX”.
- Do NOT email moderators and ask them to post your messages. Send all messages directly to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Do NOT hold lengthy discussion on the list. Please reply to the original author (avoid a “reply-all” situation!). The original author is welcome to post a summary of the discussion to the mailing list.
- If you’re not sure whether your message was sent, please wait 24 hours and then check the archives before asking the list moderators what happened.
Mailing list archives
The mailing list archives are available from the Google Group HEPEX site. Those seeking opportunities are encouraged to browse the archives for previous announcements.
Credit where credit is due
These guides are inspired on those from the ‘cryolist’ mailing list. Thanks, guys!